Helpful FAQ's

Q. What is the difference between a Symbolic, Religious and Civil Ceremony?

- Symbolic Ceremonies are just as the name suggests - Symbolic. They are not legally binding and are performed by a non-dominational minister, like our team of professional ministers here at Ceremonies to Remember. Symbolic Ceremonies are typically chosen by couples already married or planning their legal marriage in their home town or by people wishing to renew their vows. The Symbolic Ceremony option is the easiest to arrange and to avoid the "paper work" involved in a legal wedding.

- Civil (legal) Ceremonies can only be performed by a judge appointed by the Civil Registry Office - Registro Civil, in each state of Mexico. The Judges do not work on a Sunday. You can marry at the registry office or you can request that the judge come to your preferred location for an extra fee. Your Marriage Certificate will be valid world-wide, but you should get your certificate 'legalized' in Mexico to ensure it is legally accepted when you get back home. For more information on the legal requirements, please see the next question and answer.

- Religious Ceremonies such as Catholic and Jewish are also available in Mexico. The bride and groom will require an official letter from their church, Priest or Rabbi giving them permission to marry in Mexico. Catholic ceremonies also require the birth certificate, baptism certificate and confirmation certificate from both the bride and the groom. (Originals that you will receive back) They also require photocopied identification of your witnesses such as a licence or passport.

Return to previous page